At Healthy Tails Retreat, we are knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to all your pet’s needs. Below are a few of the questions we are frequently asked about our facility, our services, and pet issues in general.
What to Expect at Healthy Tails
- Q: My pet has never been away from home. Is this something to worry about?
- A: When you leave your pet in someone’s care for the first time it can be stressful for you and your pet. Some important steps to take before leaving your pet anywhere include the following;
1. Ask to see where your pet will stay while you are gone, make sure it looks and smells clean.
2. Ask if your pet can be fed their usual diet. A change in diet can cause GI upset, especially when they are stressed.
3. Ask what arrangements are made for potty breaks and play time. Making sure they are walked several times a day will help to assure they keep their good habits when they go home.
- Q: Am I able to tour your facility?
- A: We love to give tours and invite you to stop by anytime and let us show you around. We also encourage you to bring your pet for a get acquainted visit before they stay with us. We want all of you to be comfortable when they come for their pet vacation.
- Q: What happens if my pet becomes sick while staying with you?
- A: Healthy Tails Retreat has a veterinarian on Staff who supervises your pet’s stay. If there are any problems while they are staying with us we will contact you and discuss what the best therapeutic approach to take.
- Q: If there are medications my pet normally receives, will you distribute them during my pet’s stay?
- A: Medications are important and it is important that they are given just like at home. We will make every attempt to keep your same medication schedule while your pet stays with us.
- Q: How much exercise will my pet get during their stay at the retreat?
- A: We match the exercise schedule to each pet’s needs. Whether it is a slow walk around our pet patio for our senior dogs or a game of chase and fetch for our active pets, we will discuss what level of exercise your pet desires when you make your pet reservation.
- Q: Is there anything I can leave with my pet during their stay to make them feel more at home?
- A: To help your pet feel comfortable while they are at the Retreat we encourage you to bring their bed or blanket and toys. We find these comforts from home help our pets settle in for a good sleep in their pet hotel rooms.
- Q: How do I improve my dog’s social skills?
- A: The more your dog learns about the world – while on walks in the park, the pet store or simply through town, the more comfortable and at ease your dog will be in it. Socialization starting when they are puppies will help improve their skills in new situations. One of the most effective methods to get your pet accustomed to being around other people and their pets is to enroll them in a basic training class. You may discover that your dog has talents you never imagined, but the key word is ‘exposure’ – to different settings and to different people.
- Q: Is it important to reward your dog when they respond to your directions?
- A: Absolutely! Rewarding your dog when they respond to your directions helps them to learn that good stuff happens when they follow your lead. A rule of thumb is for every time you tell your dog no, you should tell them yes or praise them for their behavior two times. That helps them learn what the correct behavior looks like. Going back to the mock exams, by adding rewards while simulating different veterinary procedures you can help to minimize their anxiety before they even make the trip.
Do you have questions that are not listed above? If so, feel free to contact our team at Healthy Tails Retreat at (712) 246-2310.